Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fun with the Run Command

When I first began using a computer about 14 years ago, I had to "share" it with the rest of the family. Sometimes, I would login to find that my settings had been changed and things "looked different" - and I would spend a lot of time frustrated because if the big "e" wasn’t on my desktop, I couldn’t get on the Internet, or if the "My Documents" shortcut wasn’t there, I couldn’t find my files - well you get the picture. I even spent a year or two being a little afraid of the computer - I was afraid I might mess something up and I wouldn’t be able to fix it.

Over time, I became more and more comfortable and learned my way around. I learned how to troubleshoot when my Internet connection wasn’t working; I learned how to use keyboard shortcuts to become more efficient; I learned that (at least on a PC), there are at least 2 or 3 ways to find or do most things I need to find or do.

Today, I am going to share some "fun" (remember, I am a computer geek) and useful commands that you can use to quickly access programs on your computer (I am using Windows XP - don’t hate me if this doesn’t work on other versions of windows!). This is often the quickest route to access applications without having dozens of shortcuts on your desktop. These commands are simple and easy to memorize... ok, let’s play!

Click "Start" and then "Run". The Run Command box will come up.

To Access... Type...

Adobe Acrobat (if installed)... acrobat
Adobe ImageReady (if installed)... imageready
Adobe Photoshop (if installed)... photoshop
Calculator... calc
Classical Solitaire... sol
Control Panel... control
Firefox (if installed)... firefox
Free Cell Card Game... freecell
Hearts Card Game... mshearts
Internet Explorer (if installed)... iexplore
MS Access (if installed)... msaccess
MSExcel (if installed)... excel
Microsoft Paint... mspaint
Microsoft Powerpoint (if installed)... powerpnt
Microsoft Word (if installed)... winword
Minesweeper Game... winmine
Notepad... notepad
Paint... pbrush
Pinball Game... pinball
Printers Folder... printers
Remote Desktop... mstsc
Shut Down Windows... shutdown
Spider Solitaire Card Game... spider
Windows Explorer... explorer
Wordpad... write

There are actually over a hundred different commands available. To see a more complete list, visit http://mypchell.com/guides/34-guides/69-156-useful-run-commands or Google it!

So, memorize what you use and the next time you are giving a presentation, casually pull up Powerpoint using the Run Command. People are easily impressed by things like that and you will already score a point with your boss! ;-)

About Websketching Web Design

Websketching is a NJ website design company offering a full range of website design, web development and Internet marketing services. Websketching specializes in creating custom website designs that can be equipped with their proprietary content management system, as well as the development of online website directories aimed at promoting the shop local concept and local tourism. Websketching is the creator of http://www.salemcountywoman.com/. For more information, please visit www.websketching.com or call 856-769-5600.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home